Wednesday, August 15, 2007

You Can’t Dream What You Don’t Know

How can a child dream of becoming a professional golfer when they’ve never picked up a golf club, seen a tournament, or stepped onto a golf course? How can child dream of becoming a figure skater or hockey player when they’ve never stepped foot in an ice rink or watched a competition? How can a child dream of becoming an author if reading and writing isn’t an activity that is stressed in their home?

Last night Brian and I completed our Children Services Friendship Volunteer training and these are a few questions that popped into my mind when a coordinator said “How can a child dream what they don’t know”. I am so excited that Brian and I have decided to become volunteers for this organization. I am looking forward to not only being a friend for this child but a person who she can depend on, a person that can expose her to new thoughts, ideas and activities and a person who can show her or help her learn that she can be whatever she wants to be if she’s willing to work hard and over come the difficulties in her life. God won’t give you more than you can handle.

I know when Brian and I have a children I want to expose them to everything I possibly can. I want them to play sports, take music and dance lessons. I want to take them to arts festivals and plays. I want to travel with them and expose them to other cultures. I want to have them volunteer at an early age and learn that helping people is a great thing. I want them to have every opportunity possible. I want them to know they can be whatever they want to be.

I have to give credit to the parents that allow their children to have volunteers through Children Services. It has to be hard to allow another adult to come into their child’s life and give them or expose them to things they can’t. It just goes to show that no matter who you are or what difficulties have been thrown your way, you always want what’s best for your child.

No comments: