Friday, August 22, 2008

Adjusting to Life with a Newborn…

The two weeks have gone by so fast. I can’t believe Camden is already 2 weeks old! Here’s some highlights of the past two weeks…

Day 1 -
We arrived home Sunday around 12:30pm. Your daddy carried you in so I could say hi to the pups. They were so excited to see me and to see you. They sniffed your feet and gave them a little kiss. While daddy was carrying in all the things from the hospital, I had to change your diaper - picture this…me changing your diaper while you’re screaming and kicking, Winston’s barking hysterically because your crying and Griswald jumping up (with a hurt leg) trying to see what’s going on. I’m yelling at both dogs because I want them to calm down and yelling for your dad to come help because I’m afraid Griswald’s going to re-injure his leg.


First Diaper Change at Home


As for the first night, I have to admit it was pretty rough. Neither your daddy nor I slept but we were still running on pure adrenaline so it didn’t seem to bother us. We were just worried that we were doing something wrong. Your diapers keep leaking which meant we had to keep changing not only your diapers but your clothes…which you absolutely hate at the moment. We went through about 4-5 outfits the first night. Who knew changing diapers would be so difficult? We seem to be getting the hang of it now. I think we were just so afraid if hurting you circumcision and umbilical cord.

Day 5 -
Which brings me to our first medical emergency - well that’s what I thought it was at the time. You were just 5 days old and your umbilical cord got caught by the diaper (you kick and scream during most diaper changes) and tore a little. It was just hanging there. I was holding you closely, crying, thinking I hurt you. I made your daddy call the pediatrician. When he called back he assured us this was fine unless blood was gushing – which it wasn’t. I felt better but was still upset. Later that night the entire thing fell off and you didn’t even seem to care.

Day 7 -
Your 1st trip to OSU! Your daddy and I decided to take you down to campus to take pictures with some Brutus statues on display.





Day 11 –
Last night was a hard night for me. You seem to sleep much better in your crib than you do in the bassinet so we decided to let you sleep in your own room. I have to admit, I kept getting up to check on you even though I had the monitor right next to me. I wish I could just hold you the entire night!


Today – Day 12 – Busy Day
This morning I gave you your first real bath. You seemed to enjoy it much better than your sponge baths. You didn’t cry at all, in fact you seemed really relaxed…so relax that while I was trying to figure out how to use the video camera (which never happened) you decided to poop! It was hilarious! Gross but hilarious! After I got everything cleaned up I called your daddy to tell him what happened. I wish he could have been home to help.

Today you had your second pediatrician appointment. Your doctor said you’re perfect! You’ve gained all your weight back and you are now 9pd 11oz and 21.5 inches long. You’re in the 75th percentile in weight and height! I knew you were getting bigger.

This evening we are taking our first road trip. I’ve been packing for it all day – trying to make sure I don’t forget anything. We’re heading to Decatur for the weekend to see your Grandma and Grandpa Laurent and you’re going to get to meet your Aunt Maya, Uncle Pat, and Cousin Zane for the first time. I’m so excited for them to meet you!


Me and my boys!!!
Winston and Camden

4 comments:

Lauren said...

oh kristi...you sound like such a natural mom! did you ever think it was possible to be so happy and so tired at the same time? I love the pics!!

Shey said...

OMG that last photo of Winsto and Camden together is so sweet!!!!!!

Michelle said...

Awww!!! You sound so calm I hope I can be that calm too!
What a great post!

blairie said...

Congrats on the birth of your son! He's beautiful.

I found your blog when I googled "nursery decorating ideas" and hit images. I LOVE the stripes/polka dots you did. I'm using the same set of colors for the most part for my son (due in four months!) and was looking for inspiration. I'm hoping to do stripes under a chair rail and then some polka dots above it.

Again, congrats!